In this section
Jackson Bay was established in the 1870s and is located 35 kilometres south of Haast at the end of the West Coast roading network.
The Jackson Bay Wharf is mainly used as a fish landing facility for commercial crayfish and wetfish fishermen as well as the many recreation fishermen who have discovered the tremendous sea fishing available in the area.
The Bay is also the only known location used as a nursery by the rare hector dolphin.
Maori prospered in the area in pre European trading greenstone from the Red Hills and Cascade River Valley while access to the superb hunting and fishing in the area can be by vehicle or helicopters to the more remote parts of the Region.
Captain Cook named the Bay Open Bay and the name Jackson Bay is thought to have come from a sealer William Jackson who was one of a party marooned there in 1810.