Water Conservation Tips
DID YOU KNOW?
That an average person uses 250 litres of water per day.
COMMON WATER DRAINS
• A typical dishwasher consumes about 16 litres of water per load of dishes
• Washing your car with a hose can use up to 400 litres of water
• Having a short shower instead of a bath can save up to 120 litres of water
WAYS TO SAVE WATER
When an official conserve water notice is in place, this means you need to reduce your discretional (i.e. non-essential) water use.
This may include:
- Having shorter showers
- Running your dishwasher less or washing dishes by hand (with plug in sink)
- Avoiding washing your car
- Rinsing vegetables or brushing your teeth with the plug in the sink not the tap continuously running
- Washing clothes by using a lower water setting on your washing machine
Every household uses water differently though so you will need to exercise your own common sense also.
Water savings are about preventing waste. Another good way to prevent water waste is to fix any leaky taps. The more water you save, the less you will pay (in hot water charges via gas or electricity). You will also ensure that there is sufficient water available for emergency purposes.