Summary of Council Meeting, 23 January 2020
Chief Executive, Simon Bastion, provided Council with an update on matters of significance and the Council’s priority list:
- The damage and recovery from the December storm event.
- Progress on the takeover of the Westland Racecourse.
- Hokitika wastewater treatment plant.
- Fox Glacier and Franz Josef water treatment plants.
- The Arahura water supply.
- Tourism Infrastructure Funded projects and applications in progress.
- Work on Asset knowledge for asset management plans
Council heard a financial and service report for Q2 (1 October to 31 December 2019) from John Kagagi, Accountant and Emma Rae, Strategy and Communications Advisor.
Franz Josef Master Plan
Fiona Scadden, Planning and Customer Services Manager and Lynda Murchison, consultant, spoke to Council about production of the Franz Josef Master Plan. Council approved the development of a strategy to provide for a comprehensive and integrated approach to managing land use issues associated with natural hazards, area growth and development, infrastructure, and urban design for the Franz Josef/Waiau community, and to approach Te Rūnanga o Makaawhio to discuss how they would like to partake in decision-making on the process. The proposal for developing the strategy including a scope of issues; a proposal for engagement with the Franz Josef/Waiau community and consultation with other stakeholders; and proposed timeframe, resource and reporting requirements will be presented to the Planning and Regulatory Committee for approval
Council approved amendments to the Westland Holdings Limited Constitution.
Council Chambers Layout
Council resolved to putting any changes to the building on hold pending an updated building earthquake assessment, quantity survey and costing exercise. A report will be brought to a future council meeting.
- Jackie Gurden gave a presentation on the current activities of the West Coast Wilderness Trail Trust.
- Community Service Award – Janna Bradely to recognise her fundraising efforts.
- Citizenship Ceremony – Council is pleased to welcome nine newly minted New Zealand citizens during the January citizenship ceremony. Our new citizens join us from the Philippines, India, Sri Lanka and Nepal.