Recycling/waste collection information and Transfer Station hours can be found below. Please do your part to help Westland’s recycling efforts. Most items not suitable for recycling (listed below) can be taken to your local Transfer Station instead.
Print our handy guide for your fridge here.
If items are found in your recycling bin which cannot be recycled, your bin will not be collected that week.
In Westland, the yellow recycling bin is for the following items (must be clean):
- Plastic containers and bottles (numbered 1, 2, and 5)
- Metal tins and cans
Many of these items can be taken to your local Transfer Station instead. Contamination of entire loads of recycling can occur with certain items that shouldn't be there (eg. dirty nappies). If items are found in your recycling bin which cannot be recycled, your bin will not be collected that week.
- Ash (hot or cold)
- Bubble wrap
- Car parts and scrap metal
- Ceramics, porcelain and crockery
- Clothing, fabric and shoes
- Cutlery, drinking glasses
- Engine oil containers
- Electrical goods (aka e-waste)
- Flimsy plastic packaging
- Food and garden waste, garden hoses
- Gas bottles
- General rubbish
- Glass - this should go to your transfer station
- Household appliances
- Light bulbs
- Paint and chemicals
- Plastic ties and plastic tubing
- Polystyrene (packaging and some meat trays)
- Tyres and rubber
- Unwashed plastic food containers
- Windows or windscreen glass
Many items that shouldn't be recycled in Westland can instead be taken to your local Transfer Station. Drop off availability and costs are outlined on the Transfer Station page below.
Yes, all recyclables must be clean and empty before being placed in the yellow recycling bin for collection.