Post-flood advice from EQC

How to make a claim for damage 


If you have storm, flood or landslip damage to the land around your home, or landslip damage to your home, land or contents, you can lodge a claim with EQC.

You have two years from the date of the damage to lodge your claim.

You can make a claim by completing the form here or call EQC on 0800 326 243.

Who is covered by EQC?

To make a claim with EQC for natural disaster damage, customers must have a home or contents fire insurance policy with a private insurance company when the natural disaster damage occurred. 

Customers with home insurance will also receive EQC cover for certain land damage.

What EQC covers

EQC cover depends on how the natural disaster damage occurred.

Storms and floods

EQC covers storm and flood damage to residential land only, within certain limits outlined below.

Home and contents damage is covered by private insurance, according to the terms of an individual’s policy. Talk to your private insurer.

Landslip damage

EQC covers landslip damage to land, home and contents, within certain limits:

  • Land cover is outlined below.
  • Your home is generally insured up to a maximum of $100,000 +GST per event, on a replacement value basis.
  • Your contents are generally insured up to a maximum of $20,000 +GST per event, on a replacement value basis.

What land EQC covers

EQC coverage of land is limited to land that is within your land holding – and includes:

  • land under your home and outbuildings (eg, shed or garage)
  • land within eight metres of your home and outbuildings
  • land under or supporting your main access way, up to 60 metres from your home (not driveway surfacing).
  • bridges and culverts within the above areas
  • some retaining walls that are necessary to support or protect your home, outbuildings or insured land
  • the removal of debris, such as silt or fallen trees, from the insured land (not replacement of items on the land, such as trees, plants, lawn and driveways).


EQC insurance has more information.

Advice about how to make a claim to EQC