23 March 2020 @ 1610
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Council proactively managing Covid-19 response
“We’re currently living in difficult times”, is the message that Mayor Bruce Smith is sharing with the community. “Council is completely focussed on the needs of the community, in particular the elderly and those with medical conditions. I also want to thank the community for returning to doing their grocery shopping as normal and for continuing to shop locally.”
Government has announced an alert level 3, rising to level 4 by Wednesday, requiring the public to minimise contact with others. Due to this Council’s offices will be closed at 4.30pm on Monday 23 March 2020.
The Mayor and Councillors have also made the following changes to Council’s current services, as of Tuesday 24 March 2020:
- The Westland Library is closed to the public. E-services are available and library users can still order a book through the hold system and collect it the following day. No returns will be accepted but no fees will be applied for books taken out over this time.
- Playgrounds throughout the district will be closed.
- The swimming pool, i-SITE and museum will be closed to the public.
The following meetings have been cancelled:
- Council meeting scheduled for Thursday 26 March,
- Community Services Committee meeting scheduled for Monday 6 April
- Economic Development Committee meeting scheduled for Tuesday 14 April
Where possible Council’s core range of services, such as building consents, resource consents etc, are being carried out as usual to full compliance levels remotely.
Any current LIM’s under processing will be completed but no new requests will be processed.
Payments can still be made using our online services and will be processed promptly.
All sports clubs, community groups and other organisations where people gather together are required to cancel their events and meetings.
Updates from Council will be available through our Westland Matters newsletter, which the public can sign-up for here: https://westlandmatters.buzzit.co.nz/.
Please continue to refer to the Governments website www.covid19.govt.nz for individuals and businesses.
If you are a business owner, further information about the economic response package and eligibility is available at this website: www.business.govt.nz/news/coronavirus-information-for-businesses/
Media enquiries to:
Emma Rae, Strategy and Communications Advisor