Alcohol Licensing

Council acts as a Licensing Agency and has responsibilities relating to all premises licensed for the sale and supply of alcoholic beverages. The Agency has a Strategy Statement (adopted by Council on 20 June 2000) which gives an overview of local approaches to liquor licensing functions.

Council’s District Licensing Committee has responsibilities relating to all premises licensed for the sale and supply of alcohol beverages and other provisions of the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012. 

Sale of Alcohol

The sale of alcohol to any member of the public requires a Licence under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012.  The object of this Act is to ensure that the sale, supply and consumption of alcohol is undertaken safely and responsibly and the harm caused by the excessive or inappropriate consumption of alcohol is minimised.

All alcohol licence applications and renewals should be lodged with the Westland District Licensing Committee for processing.  All applications will be decided by this Committee.

Manager’s Certificate (new/renewal)

Authorises the holder to manage any licensed premises including Club licensed premises. 

Licence Controller Qualification (LCQ)

Any person applying for a Manager’s Certificate must hold a Licence Controller Qualification (LCQ).  If this qualification was gained before 18 December 2013 then a LCQ Bridging Test must be undertaken.  This test can be found on   A copy of the LCQ certificate must be attached with all applications for a Manager’s certificate (new or renewal).

On-Licence (new/renewal)

Authorises the holder of the licence to sell and supply liquor on the premises for consumption on the premises (or conveyance). 

Off-Licence (new/renewal)

Authorises the holder of the licence to sell liquor to any person for consumption off the premise or deliver liquor off the premises.

Special Licence

Is a licence to sell and supply liquor for a particular occasion or event or series of such functions (within a twelve month time frame and at the same venue).

Temporary Authority

A District Licensing Committee may authorise someone to sell and supply liquor for up to 3 months.  Situations where this may happen include a sale, illness, death, bankruptcy, liquidation, receivership, mortgagee in possession, landlord in possession, abandonment etc.  This allows the license to be operated during the transition to the new owner/management.  A temporary authority holder has the responsibilities of the licensee to which the authority relates.

A completed application, appropriate to Licence applicable to the premises must be made during this three month period.

Appointing Temporary and Acting Managers
Temporary Managers

If you wish to appoint a staff member as a temporary manager, who does not hold a managers certificate, you can appoint them as a temporary manager. They are then required to lodge an application for a manager’s certificate within two working days with the Secretary of the District Licensing Committee.  

Failure to lodge an application makes their appointment as a temporary manager null and void.
The Notification of Management Change Form must be emailed or faxed to the Alcohol Licensing Team and the Police.

Acting Managers

A licensee may appoint an acting manager for a period not exceeding three weeks at any one time where a manager is unable to act because of illness/absence and not more than six weeks in any one year, where a Manager is on annual leave or vacation.

A licensee must give notice of the appointment, cancellation or termination of any manager, temporary manager or acting manager, within 48 hours of the appointment to the Westland District Licensing Committee and the Police. There is no need to notify the two organisations if the temporary manager will not be in the role for more than 48 hours.

District Licensing Committee (DLC)
  • Bryce Thomson - Chair
  • Cr Jim Butzbach – Deputy Chair
  • Richard Gardiner
  • Zelda Martin
  • Timothy Teen

Members of the DLC will hold hearings as required under the Sale and Supply Alcohol Act 2012.




For more information contact the Council.